xMinds events, resources, and memberships are always FREE
Join Team xMinds for Bike to the Beach 2023!
Do you want to develop a deeper sense of community with fellow xMind families?
Do you want to get into shape under the guidance of our amazing team captain, Patrick Quigley?
Do you want to support xMinds, but you're not sure how to get involved? Scroll down to the FAQs below or email any of these xMinds leaders who are organizing this event:
Patrick Quigley -- Team Captain (for bike-riders)
Sue Keisler and Monica Martinez -- Communications
Marci Skigen -- xMinds Rest Stop
1. Sunday, April 2 @ 9:00 AM at Ken Gar Palisades Park at 4140 Wexford Dr., Kensington, MD 20895 (off Beach Dr. between Wexford Dr. & Knowles Ave.). We'll have a 15-mile and a 20-mile ride option. Email Patrick Quigley if you're interested in joining this ride.
2. Sunday, April 16 @ 9:00 AM at Hains Point/East Potomac Park. 15 to 20 miles. Email Patrick Quigley if you're interested in joining this ride.
3. Sunday, April 30 @ 9:00 AM at Trail head of the Washington and Old Dominion Trail, in Shirlington, VA. 2707 Shirlington Rd., Arlington, VA 20 miles, flat ride or hill ride options. Email Patrick Quigley if you're interested in joining this ride. RAINED OUT
4. Sunday, May 21 @ 9:00 AM at Trail head of the Washington and Old Dominion Trail, in Shirlington, VA. 2707 Shirlington Rd., Arlington, VA 20 miles, flat ride or hill ride options. Email Patrick Quigley if you're interested in joining this ride.
5. Sunday, June 4 @ 8:00 AM -- 30 miles, Meet at Chalkboard Wings and BBQ at 8723 Cooper Rd, Alexandria, VA 22309. Ride from Mt. Vernon (Chalkboard Wings & BBQ) to Alexandria & back. We're all invited to dine at Chalkboard Wings & BBQ after the ride. Non-riders are welcome! We expect the riders to get to Chalkboard Wings around 11am to 12:00pm. 10% of the proceeds for the day go to xMinds!
6. Sunday, June 25 @ 9:00 AM - 35 miles, Lake Needwood to Carter Barron Soccer Fields & back (Rock Creek Park Trail)
7. Sunday July 9 @ 9:00 AM, at Trail head of the Washington and Old Dominion Trail in Shirlington, VA. 2707 Shirlington Rd., Arlington, VA. Riding 40 miles from Shirlington to Herndon & back.
8. Sunday July 23 - @ 9:00 AM at Hains Point/East Potomac Park. 21 miles, 7 loops.
Join or Donate to Team xMinds Here
Thinking of joining Team xMinds? Here are the FAQs:
What is Bike to the Beach? Bike to the Beach is a nonprofit that organizes bike rides around the country to help local autism organizations like xMinds raise money. xMinds has participated for the last four years and now relies on this fundraiser to raise more than half its annual budget.
What if I don't have time to do any volunteering or bike-riding, but I want to support Team xMinds? We would very much appreciate a financial donation to the team. We are doing this fun event ultimately to raise funds so xMinds can continue its free programming for families and educators. You can donate here. We appreciate all donations!
What's involved for the bikers? The biking enthusiasts get together for weekend practice rides in the spring, then ride in the Bike to the Beach bike ride on Friday, July 28. The complete 100-mile-ride starts at Union Station, DC, but there are other starting points along the route where you can start your ride if you're interested in riding only 75, 50 or 25 miles. (Most riders opt for one of the shorter rides.) Everyone ends at the same finish line in Dewey Beach, DE. All practice rides are optional, so drop in when you can! Some people bring their teenage kids too. In the past people have found these rides are a lot of fun and a great way to meet other xMinds families. Bike riders can join Team xMinds here. If you're not sure you want to join, just email Patrick Quigley to tell him you want to join the practice rides to give it a try. He'll make sure you receive the emails telling you where and when we're meeting.
What's involved for non-bikers? We need non-biking volunteers to staff the rest stop that we're going to host on the day of the bike ride (Friday, July 28). This is a great way to be involved if bike riding is not your thing. It’s fun to be part of the excitement and to cheer on the bike-riders, especially if you have a family member who's riding! If you're not available to be at the rest stop on July 28, you can donate drinks or snacks ahead of time. If you want to help with the rest stop please email Marci. We encourage you to join the team as a volunteer (for free), and help with fundraising by reaching out to friends to support the team. Register for the team as a volunteer here, and click on the 4th tab at the top "volunteer." Select the ride "Washington, DC on July 28, 2023," and select as your team "xMinds."
How much money do I need to raise as a member of Team xMinds? You're not required to raise any minimum amount, but you might be happily surprised at how your friends and family respond when you reach out to them to invite them to support Team xMinds.
How important is this to xMinds? xMinds relies on this event to provide more than half our annual budget -- so it's important!
What does it cost for me to register to ride on July 28? There are three possible levels, and for each registration level you can join the xMinds team for 50% off if you use our registration, you get 50%code: PartnerXMINDS50. The regular prices, before the 50% discount are: (1) Standard registration - $100 enrollment - $500 fundraising minimum; (2) Yellow registration - $50 enrollment - $1,500 fundraising minimum; and (3) Goal Hitter Registration - $500 enrollment. $0 fundraising minimum. Please don't let the fundraising minimums keep you away. They are not enforced. Please think of them as aspirational!
Where can I find out more about the ride and the route? The Washington, DC ride is described here.
How can I buy those cool xMinds bike shirts I see in the photos? You can buy shirts and other xMinds-branded bike paraphernalia here: https://jakroo.com/store-front?storeId=SJ_X_DGcS
More questions? Email Patrick Quigley or Sue Keisler or Monica Martinez
Join or Donate to Team xMinds Here